This week, we brainstorm design patterns that help save people from themselves. From stopping the spread of misinformation, to saving eardrums, to screening spoilers, these design ideas are often clever and non-obvious. In the Sidebar, we discuss why radio and checkbox inputs are the way they are, and how to use them well in your designs.
Latest VIP Patrons:
- Richard Saseun
- Melissa Oh
- Richie Planek
- Jay Sowell
- Erin Mayer
The Sidebar is an exclusive weekly segment for our Patreon supporters. You can subscribe starting at $1 per month for access to full episodes going forward! Sign up at https://patreon.com/designdetails.
In this week's Sidebar, we discuss why radio and checkbox inputs are different, and how to think about designing patterns to make form fields obvious to your users.
- Jesse Box tweeted about a process that works for building a culture of excellence at their company:
- Include design quality tickets in each sprint
- QA lots of small tasks rather than one huge task
- Michel van Heest tweeted: Also, @brian_lovin should write a book or something, or they should just transcript @designdetailsfm
- Surprise! We recently started transcribing episodes. They're rough, and pull requests are appreciated. Browse the transcripts here
Divya Tan asked on Twitter: Not sure if this has already been tackled, but what are things that you do to "save the users from themselves" along the lines of @gamemakerstk's video for same thing for game design.
- Brian shared a person, Patrick McKenzie aka patio11 on Twitter and HN
- Key blog posts to start with: Salary Negotiation: Make More Money, Be More Valued and Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names.
- Otherwise dig into Patrick's greatest hits.
- Marshall shared Control, a third person action-adventure mystery-paranatural type game, and it is stunning. Be sure to watch the trailer or head to YouTube for some gameplay; this game is compelling.
Design Details on the Web:
- 📻 We are @designdetailsfm
- 🙌 Support us on Patreon - your support literally makes this show possible. Thank you ❤️
- ❓ Got a question? Ask it on our Listener Questions Hub, and we'll do our best to answer it on the show :)
- ⭐️ Enjoying the show? Leave us a review on iTunes
And that's the way it is!