So many developers (your podcast hosts included) make the same mistakes when trying to turn an idea into a business for the first time. In this episode, Ben and Adam talk through a bunch of these mistakes, why they matter, and what you should do to avoid them.
- (00:00) - Ben's Laracon talk "Predictable Mistakes of the Developer-Turned-Founder"
- (02:57) - Mistake: Starting with SaaS
- (15:21) - Mistake: Selling to consumers
- (17:40) - Mistake: Selling to struggling businesses
- (24:24) - Mistake: Not pre-selling your product
- (25:52) - Mistake: Assuming people are rational
- (26:58) - Mistake: Not choosing a customer you like
- (28:05) - Mistake: Being comfortable with your pricing
- (33:37) - Mistake: Raising VC
- (40:09) - Mistake: Overfocusing on legal and compliance