Description by @johnchidgey
This is the first episode of Causality that digs into the detail behind a Cyber-attack and looks at all of the things that went wrong that made it possible. It also looks at how this incident shaped laws in the US and impacted the control systems industry around the world.
The evening before Christmas Eve in 2015 saw a widespread blackout of the power grid across the Ukraine. We look at how a cyber-attack on electric utility companies in Europe, changed how cyber-security is regarded in control systems, forever.
Links of potential interest:
- December 2015 Ukraine Power Grid Cyber-attack
- Analysis of the Cyber Attack on the Ukrainian Power Grid [PDF]
- Ukraine Report: When The Lights Went Out [PDF]
- Inside the Cunning, Unprecedented Hack of Ukraine’s Power Grid
- Cyber-Attack Against Ukrainian Critical Infrastructure
- Everything We Know About Ukraine’s Power Plant Hack
- BlackEnergy, Grid-Disrupting Malware, Has a Successor, Researchers Warn
- Scary Questions in Ukraine Energy Grid Hack
- Ukraine Cyber Induced Power Outage: Analysis And Practical Mitigation Strategies [PDF]
- New Clues Show How Russia’s Grid Hackers Aimed for Physical Destruction
- Industroyer: An in-depth Look At The Culprit Behind Ukraine’s Power Grid Blackout
- Ukrainian Power Grids Cyber-attack
- Russian Translation: Obelnergo Message to Consumers
- MOXA UC-7408-LX Plus
- MOXA UC-7408-LX Plus Firmware Overwrite Vulnerability
- iRZ RUH2
- IRZ RUH2 3G Firmware Overwrite Vulnerability
- NCCIC: Ukrainian Power Attack
- US Wants To Isolate Power Grids With ‘Retro’ Technology To Limit Cyber-attacks
- LinkedIn Is A Hacker’s Dream Tool
Support Causality on Patreon
Episode Silver Producers: Carsten Hansen, John Whitlow, Joseph Antonio and Kevin Koch.
Episode Gold Producer: 'r'.